From HAMLET to Alpha1H – In his Newsletter:
- Short background about the HAMLET molecule
- Discovery of the second-generation drug Alpha1H
- Producing our drug candidate Alpha1H as a synthetic, GMP certified substance for clinic trials
HAMLET (Human alpha-lactalbumin made lethal to tumor cells)
HAMLET is formed by two natural molecules in breast milk that kill tumor cells without harming mature, healthy cells, such molecules are commonly known as GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe).
The structure of HAMLET
3-dimensional model of HAMLET with a 180° rotation
Advanced technologies allow us to see molecules, measure them from every angle, and understand their deepest secrets.
Using such technics, we could identify the structure of HAMLET and especially the domains that are responsible for the killing effect.
This is how we identified the Alpha1 peptide, which forms a lipid complex and kills tumor cells.
This smaller part of the HAMLET molecule can be produced synthetically, and used as a drug candidate.
Alpha1H – The second-generation drug
After the discovery of Alpha1H as a second-generation drug for cancer therapy we have shown that:
- Alpha1H reproduces the tumoricidal effect of HAMLET on cancer cells
- Alpha1H is therapeutically active against cancer as shown in a bladder cancer model
- Alpha1H interacts with cell membranes and is transported into the nuclei of cancer cells.
- The alpha-helical structure of the Alpha1 peptide is essential for binding to the lipid and for the mechanism of action on tumor cells
We are actively pursuing research about the use of Alpha1H for bladder cancer and other cancer indications
HAMLET Pharma carries out large-scale, GMP production of Alpha1H with Polypeptide Laboratories (in progress).
We have already analysed the engineering batch.
The results guarantee:
- The method of synthesis
- The activity of the synthetic product (Alpha1H) against cancer cells
- Therapeutic efficacy in an animal model of bladder cancer.
Access to the substance Alpha1H gives the company a platform for commercial expansion, such as the licensing of specific indications and cooperation agreements with major companies.
The synthesis method gives large amounts of material and opportunities to treat several types of cancer.
For More information please visit our website
For more information, please contact
Catharina Svanborg, Chairman of the board, Hamlet Pharma, +46-709 42 65 49
Mats Persson, CEO Hamlet Pharma, +46 705 17 67 57
About Hamlet Pharma
Hamlet Pharma AB owns and develops a new technology to kill cancer cells without harming healthy tissues. The HAMLET technology is focused around the HAMLET family of tumoricidal protein-lipid complexes, formed by naturally occurring molecules from human milk and extended to include recombinant variants of the natural substance. HAMLET has validated therapeutic efficacy in clinical studies and animal models, and in many different cellular models of human cancer. Alpha1 is a peptide that includes key tumoricidal motifs within HAMLET. Together with oleic acid, the peptide forms the Alpha1H complex that target cancer tissues selectively similar to HAMLET. Alpha1H will now be developed further for Phase II clinical trials, to verify the positive proof of concept studies. Hamlet Pharma AB shares are listed at AktieTorget. HAMLET is an abbreviation for Human Alpha-lactalbumin Made LEthal to Tumor cells.